Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Me and the Proverbs 31 woman

ASPIRE

So, a few years ago God really laid it upon my heart to study the Proverbs 31 woman (Proverbs 31:10 onwards). To be completely honest when I really understood what He was prompting me to do it was enough to read through it and digest it. I came to realise how far from that woman I am, and how much I have always aspired to be her. Then, when I could finally face learning how to overcome my short-falls I began to study her. I was surprised when my study actually inspired me, and I began to learn and grow.

I still have so far to go. I realise that even though I know a lot about her, it hasn't really all hit my heart yet.

And then a light-bulb moment! I realised that I can use creativity in my study, in my learning, in my 'quiet time,' if you will. I know, der! Amazing that it took me 30 years to realise this. So I began a journal, an artist journal, on my study of Proverbs 31. My canvas is a spiral bound notebook with brown recycled pages. I have called it, 'Aspire'. Following are some of the pages that I have done, and one that I am in the process of preparing...



These pages and the following ones are basically the text that I am studying. I painted, collaged, stamped, drew, glued, inked and wrote...The writing is done with fluid acrylic paint and a nib pen.



Hmmm... Looks like it says 'Provorb' in the photo, but it really does say 'Proverb' - I promise!

For this page I found this cool webbing stuff, and wanted to use it, so i created a background to see through, tore a strip out of the main page and stuck it all back together. It's a shame you can't really see the ribbon at the top of the left page. It began life as a white sheer ribbon with velvet scrolling (also in white) but I dyed it and inked it and coloured it. I love the way it turned out. It's probably my favourite element on the page.

The next pages are ones I am preparing right now. They are for the first verse, verse 10:



 On the left page the decorative paper is inked and painted, while the right is untreated, not even stuck down.

For me, this is the best way to learn and study.

No comments:

Post a Comment