Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Space Quilt Wall Hanging for my boy

Monday is sewing day. So this past Monday I sewed. I acheived a lot, too! 

  1. I made a pattern for hip protectors - I am going to make them for my Nan so that she doesn't smash her hips if she falls. The ones you buy cost $90 each and she needs to have at least 8. I figure that I can make them for a fraction of that price. I just need to get myself an overlocker!
  2. I made a pattern for a child's apron. My big girl is having a sleepover for her birthday - activities will include cooking and craft. She would like to make her friends an apron each with her brand new birthday sewing machine as a thank you gift and to use during the sleepover.
  3. A while ago I aquired the following Bernatex fabrics. My boy loves space so I thought that I could make a wall hanging to go with the space quilt that his Grandma made for him for his birthday (I will put up a picture of his quilt soon). Above is a picture of the wall hanging so far...
And here are the fabrics that I used to make it:


The main piece is a panel of lots of different 'spacey' squares, and a starry boarder at top and bottom. On the top right is an orange pattern fabric that I thought looked kind of planet-ey and on the bottom right is more of the star fabric. 

If you are interested in the details, here they are:

I cut the the picture squares out into 7 1/2" squares and the others into 7 1/2 by 3 1/2" rectangles. Then I cut the orange fabric into 3 1/2" sqares. Next I cut some of the starry fabric into a few more 7 1/2 by 3 1/2" rectangles because I didn't quite have enough of the other. After that, I randomly sewed it all back togther into 10" squares. Next I made the 10" squares into 3 rows, added an extra square and rectangle at the end and sewed the rows togther. It still needs boarders, then it will be quilted and bound, but for a couple of hours of work I am really happy! And so is my big space loving boy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment