Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The therapy of the creation of teddy bears

Every so often I have a group of people ask me if I'll teach them how to make teddy bears. If I can possibly make it happen, the answer is always an enthudiastic "YES!". I love to share the joy of creating a bear from scratch. It is so easy and so rewarding. For some it is theaputic and for others it fulfills thier sensory seeking tactile cravings. In the last two lessons when the creator's bear starts to come to life the smiles are immovable and the joy is contagious. There is so much self-satisfaction in taking a fat 1/8th of mohair fur fabric and turning it into something that almost lives.

Anyway, to my absolute joy and satisfaction, a group of friends has asked me to teach them the art of teddy bear making. We are getting together this week to make some decisions, choose patterns, choose fabric, and basically get prepared to launch into it next term. The aim is to have them done by Christmas. I usually teach an 8 week, one lesson a week term, so I think that we can do it!!! I will post photos of our progress.

Above are a couple of the patterns that I designed... From right to left they are Jamie, Bop and Taku. Though you can't really see it, Jamie has wings. Her brother, Bumbly, is a bee in gold and black, with gold wire wings.I usually teach bear making on James, a cousin of Jamie. He is a great size to begin on and to cuddle and hold. Also economical.

No comments:

Post a Comment