Monday, July 18, 2011

looking through a monochromatic window

I got a bit ahead of myself and forgot to post this assignment...

Going back to greyscale, here is the assignment attached to the greyscale assessment (the one with the greyscale tool):


The brief was to create a neutral collage, with only black white and grey.

It was harder than I thought!

White is not really white!

I used:

  • dictionary pages
  • white pages pages
  • an old add for whitening face cream (yes, it's a real add!), 
  • more of my spotted ribbon
  • I cropped a photo and printed it onto canvas
  • printed acetate
  • chipboard window frame (2 stuck together for dimension with the acetate sandwiched in between),
  • graphite
  • gouache
  • sharpie
  • rub-ons
ummm.... I can't think of anything else.... I very much enjoyed making this collage -I continued in my desire to create it using only what I had on hand (mostly recycled and discarded stuff). I was happy with it when it was done. Once again, mine was completely different from everyone else's! I'm sure most people feel this way - when I put my work up with everyone else's and mine is way out of the box by comparison it makes me feel a little nervous. I asked myself questions like this: "Did I miss something in the brief?" "Am I way off base?" I got great feedback, though, so even though I felt a little concerned at first I walked away feeling good about it again. Makes me realise that even though I like to think that I am happy with my work because I did it, because I am true to myself etc etc blah blah, approval from my teachers is still really important to me.

On reflection, I do think that the add needs a black frame around it, to give it better balance...

No comments:

Post a Comment