Wednesday, July 13, 2011

seeing things in shades of grey

Assessment #2 involved creating a grey scale from white to black with 5 equal steps in between, again by eye.

After about 20 paint chips painted this is my mounted grey scale tool:


This tool was created to assist us in judging tonal level in colour.

When we created this tool, we mounted it on white card with a white strip covering the messy ends of the chips. For the remainder of the assessment we were told to create a protective cover for the tool.

Here it is separated from the protective cover:


At home I used rub-ons to number the scale.

I wanted to be frugal so I set  myself the challenge of creating the protective covering for my scale with things I had at home.

The cover I made out of an old acetate cover that once covered a manual. I then put a rub on, on the inside of the acetate and held it in place with a funky clip that I was given as part of an info pack (not pictured).

I also created a pouch to hold my tool:

This is the front side: it is really hard to tell by this photo, but here is what I did:

  1. First I ironed some tissue that I pulled out of a shoe box, then photocopied the black, white and grey pages of the white pages onto it. 
  2. Next I glued that onto some damask tissue paper that was left over from a gift - this left me with a double layer of tissue paper. 
  3. On the front I collaged it with an old slide mount, a dress form cut out and some text paper. I also printed a wing pattern onto a piece of vellum. The word 'Greyscale' is rub-ons on a scrap of card stock, the back and white spotty ribbon was left over from another project.
  4. I then took my collaged tissue paper and sandwiched it between to pieces of plastic that I cut from some sheet packaging.
  5. I then created the back pieces:

I used the same method to create the back pieces, with the exception of the flap, which is a single piece of plastic. I assembled it as follows:
  1. First I ran bias binding (that I had inherited from my nan) around the flap and the curve of the pocket
  2. Then I layered the front and back pieces and ran bias binding around the two pieces, beginning at the top, down one side, along the bottom and up the other side, with mitred corners.
  3. Next I positioned the flap and ran the bias binding along the top edge.
So there you have it: Assessment 2! To my delight my greyscale matched the guide, which meant that I got brilliant feedback. My protective cover and pouch were unique to everyone else's - in fact, no one else had actually created a pouch. As I progressed through the course I became known for my unique and quirky style. I hadn't really known that my style was so unique. I have to admit that at times it caused me some concern - I figured that it could either be a good thing or a bad thing... At the end of the day, my decision has and always should be to be true to myself and not try to mimic someone else's style. There's a bit of a life lesson in that!

Anyway, if you are reading this now it means that you have got to the end and deserve a reward for bearing with me while I ramble on! Contact me and let me know and I will get a reward to you!!!

REALLY!

That was a mammoth read about lots of (potentially) boring stuff! 


Thanks for bearing with me,
Renee xxooxx

2 comments:

  1. Love the pouch- especially the bias edging- keep up the good work- Aunty Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. A prize is coming your way! You should have it by the end of the week... Mwah!

    ReplyDelete